Friday, August 24, 2018

first week down

Holy mother of god, this has been one long arsed  first week of school but we made it.

Rosie is fine, loving it. She realises that middle school offers some independence and the opportunity to make some of your own decisions. It also allows for a tiny bit of freedom before classes start and also at dismissal. She, so far, likes her classes and her teachers so is giving everything an A+ rating. I'm proud of her and how she has taken it all on the chin, once it got started. I also am not surprised as she truly has come so far.

Lily has taken the return to school on the chin but the changes for her have been harder. For almost 2 years she worked at home, worked at her speed ( which was always on track and most often accelerated) and did things when she wanted to too. For example, Mum, where are you going? I'm going to work and then to run errands and I'll be home. Oh, can I come, of course. And she would and sometimes school work would happen en route to these things and sometimes it would happen when she got home. I always kept her on a strictish schedule but always allowed her some freedom.

Well now she has HAS to be on the bus  by 8.10, in this class and that meeting, at particular times she doesn't have an entire curriculum to work through at her speed she has the teachers curriculum and homework schedule in their time. It took a few days for the perfectionist to find her groove and she still is a little  way to go but all in all it's coming together.

Some first week hiccups:
* no school bus at all for Lily on the first day.
* AP BC Calculus was giving her a fit but she spoke to someone and sorted it all out
* the little arsehole that has taken to calling Rosie, Chink.
* my work schedule was pure insanity and I wasn't around for them as much as normal.

Some first week highs:
* Both are loving the independence
* Both are making friends....even Lily!!!
* Both are extremely happy
* they are happy so I am elated.

Ok we are ready lets do this
I'm ready Mumma
cool as a cucumber...externally
And so part of my heart was ready to take on the 2018-2019 school year.

1 comment: