Monday, September 12, 2016

time

I was always very close to my Uncle John, he was a big bear of a man, with a massive heart, an eccentric man with a wicked sense of humour. When I was little I spent so much time with him as my cousin Stephen and I were inseperable. Stephen and I would spend the school holidays together, either at Uncle Johns house, or mine. To say he spoilt us rotten is an under statement. When I moved away I stayed in closer contact with him than with any other member of my family, we spoke, almost, daily.

If I were to start listing all the things he has given me I would be writing for years but this post is about just one of the things. I think, I was 12 but I might have been 13 when we gave me a Timex watch that I had been admiring. I loved it. It was a little big for me as it was an adults watch and even though I'm sure I wore it to death  but it kept ticking.

I was recently going through my drawer of special things, yes I do actually have some special sentimental things and I saw it. I picked it up and wound it but nothing happened, I shook it but still nothing. I sadly placed it back in the drawer, DEAD.

A couple of weeks ago Lily saw and with out me registering what she was doing, wound it all the way up, all the way. Urgh. I was pretty mad. I tried and tried to get it to budge but nothing. Dead and buried this time. Nothing kills a watch faster than being over wound.


dead...and deader.
But then I had an idea, I had nothing to lose I wasn't going to break it, that had already happened.


It even says, right there on the can, frees sticky mechanisms.
I pulled out the stem, layed it on its side and gave it a quick blast of the stuff and I left it for 24 hours. After that I went back and picked it up and gave it a bit of a tap and a bit of a shake. It started working and it's been working ever since. ( read, beat the living daylights out of it)

It just makes me smile. I dont wear it, I suppose I could , white watches are trendy again. But it reminds me of Uncle John and it still works and that's good enough for me.

The End

1 comment: