Monday, February 19, 2018

and that's what love is

Ten years ago today a tiny, somewhat fragile, little baby girl joined our family.

It had been a long wait and after 2 years we switched to the special needs list. Our agency had called and suggested it and we knew it was time to take a second look. As I listened to Elizabeth Rose talk I knew she wasnt waiting for the list of children but that she had the babies information right in front of her. She rattled, off a few conditions, cleft palate, thalassemia....no and nope and then she said, how about heart conditions and I said yes.

We have a little girl, she is 9 months old and she has PDA, she said. No sooner were the words out of her mouth I was on google. As I was reading about it she said, from what I can see it isn't a really serious heart condition as heart conditions go. I just said send her and she did and today is the day that, that conversation became a reality.

I could still tell you every moment of that day with glaring clarity.  It was one of the best days of my life.

We took the bus from our hotel to the Civil Affairs Office. It was cold and I was nervous.  Lily was so excited and Andie was as nervous as I. Hah.

There was no time to be nervous as the babies were being brought into the room. One by one the babies were handed to their families. Just. Like. That. Their worlds went topsy turvy and Rosie made it perfectly clear she wasn't happy about it. But I was happy, over the moon happy I knew it would be ok, I knew we would work it all out and this little family would get it all on track.







How am I going to stop you crying little one
2 babies, I have 2 babies
Civil affairs office
all those clothes
Later, much MUCH later, that day Rosie calmed down a little. She did not however allow for the removal of the eleventy billion layers of clothes she was wearing. I managed to get her undressed eventually but she clung to all her clothes as if her life depended on it. When she finally went to sleep she was still clutching them. So sad. Once she was fast asleep I removed them from her crib and carefully packed them away, they are after all the only remnants that she has of her life in China, one tiny little outfit was the sum total of her wordly possessions.

sweet dreams little one. You have my heart.
Ten years later she has left the little scared person in the shadows. She is one of the most loving children I know and the most loyal friend a person can have. She is an athlete, a great student, she is spirited and has a fabulous sense of humour. She ALWAYS roots for the under dog and wants nothing more than the love of her family. Kidlet, the first time I saw your face, I knew you were mine and I was ready to fight to make it happen. I will always be in your corner and fight with you and for you. Never forget, I love you more.

1 comment: