Wednesday, January 17, 2018

kentucky

The girls and I have a massive world map on the wall upstairs and each and every time we visit somewhere new we put a sticker on the new country or in this case, State. When I was planning the trip one of the reasons I chose Tn was because we have never been before. When I looked at the map I realised that we would be just a 30 minute drive to Kentucky....SCORE. We haven't been there either so it made sense to cross the State line or as Rosie says, the border.

In my head we would get up nice and early and drive to Bowling Green but I think the cold was making for some very tired girls and they didn't wake up until 10. The idea of a vacay is to rest and relax so I wasn't about to shake them awake and hurry them along.

Once the girls were up we headed to parts unknown. I just plug an address or area into Waze and off we go. We exited the highway and within feet of where we got off was, Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. I was flabbergasted and obviously quite impressed by the sight in front of me however it came as such a surprise that I failed to take even ONE photo. Duh. It's quite a magnificent place.

Our destination was Bowling Green. Why? I have no idea other than it was the closest big city to where we were. Turns out there was lots to do so after lunch we headed to Lost River Caves. BUT IT WAS SUPER COLD. I like cold weather but I couldn't keep my hands warm, turns out I completely forgot to take handwarmers and didn't even realise until we got home. We braved it for a while as it was gorgeous and the gift shop there was outstanding.



I found us a house but it desperately needs my stamp, it's so cookie cutter
we were in heaven it is gorgeous there. 
please excuse my dogs behind she was done with photos
happy girl
love
wide open spaces....sigh
on a rock and a shadow
gorgy
we had a fantastic day we really did. It was 8℉ without the wind so after being outside for hours we headed back to the car and back to Tennessee. Hot chocolate was in order for the girls.
a bare tree. LOVE
so many decrepit properties
somehow it is beautiful
the sun shone the entire time
frozen
we crossed this bridge all the time but I was always driving and couldn't get a photo
photo cred, Rosie
it looks so cold

we went back to to Tn for dinner. It is so peculiar to be able to drive from State to State so easily because we are so far down in to our state that it takes almost 7 hours to escape.

2 comments:

  1. You experienced what I call "stick season"......bare trees, brown grass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time! I've never been to Kentucky, but it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete